Vegetable Pho Recipe.
Pho is traditionally served with thinly sliced beef and eaten - primarily for breakfast - accross Northern Vietnam. However, this recipe is a vegetarian take on the classic Vietnamese dish. Using mushrooms in the Pho allows more of the flavours of the broth to permeate to the contents within it and gives a rich, warming bowl of deliciousness that meat eaters and non-meat eaters alike can enjoy. You can substitute mushroom for tofu but I find it's far nicer to use mushrooms.
Ingredients in this Vietnamese Food Recipe
- 2 litres vegetable stock",
- 150g sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 50g Chanterelle mushrooms
- 50g Enokitake mushrooms
- 8 slices ginger
- 1 large white onion
- 50g beansprouts
- 4 spring onions
- 20ml light soy sauce
- 1 handful coriander
- 1 handful mint
- 20ml sesame oil
- 200g flat rice noodles
- 1 large red chilli
- 4 limes
- 2 cinamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 spring onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
1. Prepare the rice noodles as per package instructions and set aside. Get a large soup pan on the hob and begin to warm it. Once warm add to the pan the Cinamon sticks, cloves and star anise and toast - dry - until they become fragrant. After 3 to 4 minutes slice the onion and add it in, let the onion soften for a minute then add the stock and ginger slices. Bring it to the boi then allow to simmer for 45 minutes. Take care to put a lid on the pan so it doesn't reduce too much.
2. After 45 minutes warm a deep bottomed frying pan on medium/high heat with a dash of sesame oil in and the diced garlic. Sautee until the oil is runny but the garlic is not browned.
3. Add the shititake and chanterelle mushrooms into the pan and fry until glden brown - usually 4 to 5 minutes. Then set aside.
4. Strain the broth with a sieve so that you have a smooth broth infused with beautiful flavours.
5. Place the rice noodles and mushrooms in a bowl and ladle broth into these bowls on top of the mushrooms and noodles.
6. Add the Enokitake mushrooms, mint sprigs, coriander sprigs, half a sliced red chilli, half a sliced spring onion and a whole lime quartered.
7. serve with a side plate of beansprouts and soy sauce and siracha sauce if you wish.