Northern Vietnamese Beef Pho Bo
- 400g good quality beef, preferably fillet
- beef bones
- 1 onion
- 4g star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 10g whole peppercorns
- 4g cloves
- 20g coriander seeds
- 20g ground ginger
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 100ml dark soy sauce
- 4 sprigs of spring onion
- 1 sprig coriander
- 4 cups beansprouts
- 2 chili peppers chopped
- 6 limes
- 400g of rice noodles
1. The cornerstone of Pho is the broth, so lats start there! Put the Beef bones, onion (chopped in quarters), ground ginger, peppercorns, coriander seeds, star anise and finally cloves into a pan with 500ml of water and bring to the boil then simmer for 3 hours. (Alternatively you can cheat and use beef stock). This will be the broth.
2.Add the juice of 4 limes into the broth along with 50 ml of fish sauce and turn the heat up. Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the rice noodles, boil for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile chop the 400g of beef into the thinnest slices as possible and set aside in 4 piles.
4. Chop the spring onion and chilli seperately and set aside in 4 even piles.
5. Drain the rice noodles and place evenly in 4 different bowls.
6. place a cup of beansprouts and portion of spring onion and chilli in each bowl.
7. Add a portion of thinly sliced beef to each bowl.
9. Run the broth through a sieve and pour into the bowls (the broth should partly cook the beef).
10. Add coriander sprig.